Install Ignite CLI
You can run Ignite CLI in a web-based Gitpod IDE or you can install Ignite CLI on your local computer.
Be sure you have met the prerequisites before you install and use Ignite CLI.
Ignite CLI is supported for the following operating systems:
- Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
Ignite CLI is written in the Go programming language. To use Ignite CLI on a local system:
- Install Go (version 1.16 or higher)
- Ensure the Go environment variables are set properly on your system
Verify your Ignite CLI version
To verify the version of Ignite CLI you have installed, run the following command:
Installing Ignite CLI
To install the latest version of the
ignite binary use the following command.
curl https://get.ignite.com/cli! | bash
This command invokes
curl to download the install script and pipes the output to
bash to perform the installation. The
ignite binary is installed in
To learn more or customize the installation process, see the installer docs on GitHub.
Ignite CLI installation requires write permission to the
/usr/local/bin/ directory. If the installation fails because you do not have write permission to
/usr/local/bin/, run the following command:
curl https://get.ignite.com/cli | bash
Then run this command to move the
ignite executable to
sudo mv ignite /usr/local/bin/
On some machines, a permissions error occurs:
mv: rename ./ignite to /usr/local/bin/ignite: Permission denied
Error: mv failed
In this case, use sudo before
curl and before
sudo curl https://get.ignite.com/cli! | sudo bash
Upgrading your Ignite CLI installation
Before you install a new version of Ignite CLI, remove all existing Ignite CLI installations.
To remove the current Ignite CLI installation:
- On your terminal window, press
Ctrl+Cto stop the chain that you started with
ignite chain serve.
- Remove the Ignite CLI binary with
rm $(which ignite). Depending on your user permissions, run the command with or without
- Repeat this step until all
igniteinstallations are removed from your system.
After all existing Ignite CLI installations are removed, follow the Installing Ignite CLI instructions.
For details on version features and changes, see the changelog.md in the repo.
Build from source
To experiment with the source code, you can build from source:
git clone https://github.com/ignite/cli --depth=1
cd cli && make install
- Verify the prerequisites.
- To setup a local development environment, install Ignite CLI locally on your computer.
- Install Ignite CLI by fetching the binary using cURL or by building from source.
- The latest version is installed by default. You can install previous versions of the precompiled
- Stop the chain and remove existing versions before installing a new version.